Books of Revelation

on Monday, July 11, 2011
There are some books that I wish I could discover anew. I'm not necessarily talking about my all-time favourites here, but there are a few books that had such a profound impact on me when I first read them that I just want to experience that rush of pure exhilaration again. Unfortunately, recent attempts to revisit these books have only gone to show that that there is no joy in rediscovery. I can still enjoy them, sure, but that magical moment is gone forever. And so I've taken to giving them as gifts, in the hope of living vicariously through my friends. Maybe I can hold out til my eighties when dementia sets in. At that point you, dear readers, might repay the favour and bring me the following novels:

Ingenious Pain by Andrew Miller
The Knowledge of Angels by Jill Paton Walsh
Montano's Malady by Enrique Vila-Matas
Binu And The Great Wall by Su Tong
Contempt by Alberto Moravia
A Dry White Season by Andre Brink
The Postman by Antonio Skarmeta
The Yacoubian Building by Alaa Al Aswany
Censoring an Iranian Love Story by Shahriar Mandanipour
Too Loud a Solitude by Bohumil Hrabal

I'll thank you in advance, seeing as I probably won't remember who you are when the time comes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment