NaCl (or Take With a Grain Thereof)

on Monday, December 14, 2009
While I'm on the subject of lists I figure that I ought to put down a few of my favourite books so that we're all on the same page, so to speak. Consider it the sodium particles that make up the grain of salt with which you will take all my musings and/or recommendations. I apologise to my Fakebook friends who might already have seen this list.

My Ever-Morphing Top 20 Books of All Time

1. For the Good of the Cause by Aleksander Solzhenitsyn
2. The Trial by Franz Kafka
3. The Moment of Silence by Jens Bjorneboe
4. The Assault by Harry Mulisch
5. The Maimed by Hermann Ungarr
6. Too Loud a Solitude - Bohumil Hrabal
7. Waiting for the Barbarians by J. M. Coetzee
8. The Book of Daniel by E. L. Doctorow
9. The Postman by Antonio Skarameta
10. A Dry White Season by Andre Brink
11. I Am The Cheese by Robert Cormier
12. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
13. War With the Newts by Karel Capek
14. Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler
15. The Man of Straw by Heinrich Mann
16. Baddenheim 1939 by Aharon Appelfeld
17. Montano's Malady by Enrique Vila-Matas
18. The Ogre by Michel Tournier
19. Contempt by Alberto Moravia
20. Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck

There are another 30 or 40 books that equally deserve to be here, but the wind is blowing in an easterly direction today and I'm wearing green underpants, so these are the 20 that made it. Yes, lists are that arbitrary!

0 comments:

Post a Comment